Discussion: Ethics, Cyber Ethics, and Security
In recent years, hackers have targeted medical records, from hospitals and other healthcare institutions, across the country. These records contain personal information, contact information, and most importantly, for the hackers, information that may prove useful in stealing an identity. Thus, healthcare organizations have made it a priority to protect patient records and privacy. However, with the influx of technological advancements and hacker determination, there is no perfect way to ensure that all records are secure and safe.
Photo Credit: Getty Images/Blend Images
In addition to medical records, privacy concerns are relevant with any patient chart in any setting. For example, a chart left open on a computer monitor in a patient room, employee passwords and log-in information, and new employee access and screening all represent other ways in which ethics and security merge in healthcare and nursing practice.
For this Discussion, you will consider the importance of ethics as it relates to security. You will also reflect on how these topics might affect clinical practice and the connection to nursing informatics.
- Review the Learning Resources associated with the topics of ethics, cyber ethics, and security.
- Consider the role of each of these topics for clinical practice, as well as the importance of understanding each of these topics.
- Reflect on how COVID-19 might have impacted each of these topics, which reviewing the article, The COVID-19 Pandemic Highlights Shortcomings in US Health Care Informatics Infrastructure: A Call to Action.
By Day 3 of Week 9
Post a cohesive response that addresses the following for each of the topics of ethics, cyber ethics, and security:
- Explain how each of the topics might impact clinical practice. Describe why it is important to understand how ethics applies to clinical practice. Be specific and provide examples.
- How might ethics apply to informatics, e-health records, importance of passwords and security?
- After reviewing the article, The COVID-19 Pandemic Highlights Shortcomings in US Health Care Informatics Infrastructure: A Call to Action, describe potential impacts of the pandemic on ethics and security as it applies to clinical practice. Be specific and provide examples.