Use MLA Format
– Must have at least 4 sources
– Must be at least 1200 words
– Tell me everything about your topic – as if I have never heard of it. Give me statistics, facts, ALL the info.
– Understand your topic well
– Make sure you have a well written thesis statement (a sentence that summarizes the main point of your essay and previews your supporting points)
– Use your outline – this will help tremendously
– Have a great introduction – use this to explain the purpose of your paper and how you plan to approach your topic. Is this a factual paper, a persuasive argument, etc,….? Your intro should answer these questions, 1) What is this? 2) Why am I writing it? 3) What do I want to do with the information. State why your main idea is important and make people care about it. Remember that the intro always includes the thesis.
– Make sure you have supporting arguments for each point that you make. Each body paragraph should be a point and you should show sources (refer back to MLA Format)
– Have a conclusion that restates your thesis, but is worded differently. Your conclusion should also briefly summarize each of the points that you made throughout your paper.
– Use complete thoughts and clear language throughout – don’t leave any questions unanswered.